Babysitting Makai PDF Print E-mail
Sunday, 16 January 2005 00:00

I never thought I would see that day that I would actually be filled with glee at the sound of rain pounding on the motorhome. This morning I woke up to that familiar sound and I was elated! It meant that the temperature was rising again at last and that the snow would finally melt. Three weeks of below zero temperatures with snow on the ground in Vancouver was more than enough and according to the forecast it should be over for this season. 

After our morning swim we were prepared to spend the day here relaxing and doing a few chores but Karley called and asked if we could baby-sit for an hour while she and Ian ran some errands. It seems Makai was going through a little growth spurt and had a restless night and she and Ian wanted a little time to themselves. Needless to say, she didn't have to ask twice and we were on our way to their house shortly thereafter.

Makai was wide-awake when we arrived at the house, happily feeding with Karley. After he had a full belly, Karley and Ian went off to do their thing and Granni and Grandpa quite eagerly fussed over him. First Grandpa cuddled and burped him while I did some videotaping. Then I took over the cuddling task until it was evident that he was getting sleepy, and then I put him in his vibrating chair and rocked him until he was sleeping soundly. Did we enjoy ourselves? More than Karley and Ian will ever know.

We remained in this glorious state for almost two hours and Makai was as good as gold for the whole time. Just as they were walking in the door he began to fuss so I obliged him and cuddled some more while his parents had a bite to eat. It is great being grandparents and we are loving every minute of it. Thanks Karley and Ian!