Ah, To Be Young PDF Print E-mail
Saturday, 05 February 2005 00:00

Today, with the sun shining, it seemed much warmer than it really was and I finally used my Nordic Track again. I still swim everyday, but when we had snow, I stopped using my machine because it is set up outside and it was too cold for me. Rick keeps it wrapped in plastic to keep it dry and it has sat under the plastic for six or seven weeks.... until today. It felt good to get on the machine again after such a long time and it gave me the opportunity to read for 20 minutes, uninterrupted. That is probably the main reason I started to use the Nordic Track in the first place, because I can read while I workout. Lately, I haven't made time to read at all, not even at night before I go to sleep and I miss it a lot. So maybe now that I can get on the Nordic Track again, I will get back into it and my brain will get some exercise at the same time as my body.

We had a date with Makai this evening while his mom and dad had a date with each other, the first one alone in over a month. All parties were looking forward to it so we headed over to the house at 4:00 PM so they could get ready without having to stop to change a diaper or procure a burp. Makai was awake when we arrived, having just eaten and Ian was burping him while Karley was getting dressed. Shortly thereafter, Rick took over the role of burper while the burpee drifted off to sleep on his shoulder. Karley and Ian headed out, first to the Skoah Spa (our gift to Ian for his birthday) and then to dinner at the Fairmont Hotel.

Makai's evening was spent eating, sleeping, smiling, burping and spitting up. I had the task of changing two very, dirty diapers while both Rick and I took turns feeding him and this time it was Grandpa who left there smelling like baby puke. It's funny how one tiny baby can keep two people occupied for six hours with little time to spare! It made me wonder how the hell I managed to look after three little kids, often by myself for four or five days, when their father worked out of town. Maybe it was because back then I was so young I didn't know any better. Ah yes, the good old days! Anyway, Karley and Ian enjoyed their date, as did we, and we learned that as long as his tummy is full and his pants are clean, Makai seems oblivious to the change in his caregivers.